DFI uses the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System (NMLS) to manage all Check Casher and Payday Lender licenses.
Small Loan Agents
All person engaged in the following activities must obtain a license:
- Marketing and advertising small loans
- Collecting nonpublic personal information from consumers in anticipation of selling the information to potential lenders
- Assisting customers in completing small loan documentation
- Providing required applicable state and federal disclosures (WAC 208-630-137)
- Collecting small loans
Apply for License
Apply for a Check Casher License with Small Loan Endorsement
All payday lenders must apply for their license through the NMLS system.
Apply for a Check Casher License
Check cashers are required to apply through NMLS.
Washington State is no longer accepting new check seller license applications under the Check Cashers & Sellers Act. If you sell checks, you must apply for a Money Transmitter license under the Uniform Money Services Act, Chapter 19.230 RCW.
- Apply for Money Transmitter License
License required for selling checks.