Plain Green Loans Not Licensed In Washington

Date Posted: 
Friday, September 30, 2016

Alert updated: 09/30/2016
Originally posted: 06/04/2012

The Washington State Department of Financial Institutions (DFI) warns consumers to never give any nonpublic person information, such as social security number, credit card, or bank account information to any individual, website, or company without first verifying their identity and license status. Consumers can determine whether a financial services company or individual is properly licensed to conduct business in the State of Washington by using the “Verify a License” feature on the DFI’s website at

DFI has received complaints from Washington consumers against Plain Green, LLC d/b/a Plain Green Loans (Plain Green). Consumers claimed that Plain Green was charging excessive fees and interest and did not provide consumers with repayment plan terms consistent with state law.

It appears that Plain Green is operating as an unlicensed tribal lender. Plain Green claims to be wholly owned by the Chippewa Cree Tribe of the Rocky Boy's Indian Reservation, a federally recognized Indian Tribe located in Montana.

Plain Green operates a website at [] and lists its contact information as:
Plain Green Loans
93 Mack Road, Suite 600
P.O. Box 270
Box Elder, MT, 59521

If you have a complaint against Plain Green, you can mail it to:
Plain Green Loans
Attn: Consumer Complaints
PO Box 270
Box Elder, MT 59521

Plain Green is not licensed by DFI and is not registered to conduct business in Washington State by the Department of Licensing or the Secretary of State.

Important Information for Washington State Consumers

Washington State residents are informed that Washington State law provides in RCW 31.45.105(1)(d) and (3) that a “small loan” made by an unlicensed entity to a person physically located in Washington State is uncollectible and unenforceable in Washington State. A “small loan” is defined in RCW 31.45.073 and is a loan that does not exceed $700.

Washington State residents with loans exceeding $700 are informed that Washington State law provides in RCW 31.04.035 that fees or interest charged in the making of a nonresidential loan by an unlicensed lender must be refunded to the borrower.

Report Unlicensed Lending Activity or Fraud

Washington State residents only: If you suspect unlicensed activity by a payday lender or consumer loan company, please contact the Department at 1-877-RING-DFI (746-4334), or online at Even if your activity involves a loan over the internet, a license may still be required.

If you live in another state, go to this webpage to find the regulator in your home state.