Washington State Department of Financial Institutions

What To Do If You Lose Your Wallet or Purse

Take these steps immediately:

1. File a police report. Your bank and credit reporting agencies will need a copy of this report and its case number. Make sure to explain to the police officer:

2. Notify your bank.

3. Cancel all of your credit cards immediately. Your credit card companies will send you a new credit card with a new credit card number. They may also ask you about recent transactions to determine if they are yours.

4. Notify the three major credit reporting agencies:

For each of these agencies, ask for the fraud or security department. Ask them to put a fraud alert on your credit report.

5. A few weeks after the incident, get a free copy of your credit report to determine if fraudulent transactions have been made in your name.

Source: FDIC Money Smart Education Program