Washington State Department of Financial Institutions

Apply for a Check Casher or Check Casher with Small Loan Endorsement (Payday Lender) License

On July 30, 2012, Washington introduced NMLS as a new way to apply for and maintain your Check Casher or Check Casher with Small Loan Endorsement (Payday Lender) license.

NMLS streamlines the application process as well as the maintenance of your company’s license by providing a central location for company information and reducing the items you must mail to DFI. At this time, some applicants are required to apply through NMLS and some are not.

Use the links below to access information about how to apply for your desired license.

Check Casher with Small Loan Endorsement
(Payday Lending License)

All payday lenders must apply for their license through the NMLS system.

Check Casher License

Some check cashers are required to apply through NMLS. You must apply through NMLS if:

  1. Your corporate office is outside of Washington State or;
  2. You operate in multiple states

If Your Corporate Office is Outside of Washington or You Operate in Multiple States

If You Operate Only in Washington

Check Sellers
(Must Apply for Money Transmitter License)

Washington State is no longer accepting new check seller license applications under the Check Cashers & Sellers Act. If you sell checks, you must apply for a Money Transmitter license under the Uniform Money Services Act, Chapter 19.230 RCW.

Questions? Contact Us

If you have any questions about information on this webpage feel free to contact us by phone at (360) 902-8703 or toll free at 1-877 RING DFI (746-4334).

You may also email us at dcs@dfi.wa.gov.

* This document is a PDF file, and you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view it. If you don't already have Acrobat Reader installed on your computer, you may download it for free from Adobe.