Check Cashers & Sellers (Payday Lenders)
Check Cashers and Sellers doing business in Washington State must be licensed with DFI's Division of Consumer Services.
Call Center Hours
Our call center hours are Monday - Friday 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Pacific Standard Time). Call us at (877) RING DFI (746-4334). Or email us at email@example.com.
Quick Links for Check Cashers & Sellers
Limited Rulemaking on Small Loan Agents
DFI has begun a new rulemaking to clarify the department’s interpretation of the law as to the small loan agents regulated under the Check Cashers and Sellers Act. The CR-101 was filed July 23.
Summer 2014 Newsletter
The Division of Consumer Services Summer 2014 newsletter is now available.
Annual Report and Assessment - Due April 15
The Annual Assessment Report (AAR), Consolidated Annual Report (CAR), and assessment fees must be completed and filed with DFI by close of business Tuesday, April 15, 2014. Access the reports via the link below.
Windows XP Upgrade Warning
On April 8, 2014, Windows XP will reach the end of its support lifecycle and will no longer be supported. After April 8, 2014, Washington State Department of Financial Institutions (DFI) will consider all devices connected to the Internet running Windows XP a serious security risk. Devices include: PCs, Laptops, and Tablet PCs.
- 2012 Payday Lending Report
The 2012 Payday Lending Report is now available. DFI created this report as an educational tool for policy makers and other interested parties. The statistics presented in this report represent data reported to DFI from all payday lending licensees for calendar year 2012.
- State Bank Regulators Support Bill Restricting Online Payday Lending
The Conference of State Bank Supervisors issued a letter in strong support of the Stopping Abuse and Fraud in Electronic Lending Act of 2013 (the SAFE Lending Act).
- DFI To Manage Licenses On NMLS Beginning July 30, 2012
Effective July 30, 2012, Washington is introducing NMLS as a new way to maintain your Check Casher or Check Casher with Small Loan Endorsement license. At this time, transitioning to NMLS for existing licensees is optional but has many benefits. NMLS streamlines the application process as well as the maintenance of your company’s license by providing a central location for company information and reducing the items you must mail to DFI.
Laws & Rules
- Summer 2014 Division Newsletter
- Spring 2014 Division Newsletter
- Winter 2014 Division Newsletter
- Summer 2013 Division Newsletter
- Spring 2013 Division Newsletter
- Winter 2013 Division Newsletter
- Fall 2012 Division Newsletter
- Spring 2012 Division Newsletter
- Winter 2012 Division Newsletter
- Fall 2011 Division Newsletter
- Summer 2011 Division Newsletter
- Spring 2011 Division Newsletter
- Payday Loan Notice (PDF)*
This notice is pursuant to WAC 208-630-560
Washington Small Loan Transaction System (Database)
The Washington Small Loan Database.
English Payday Loan Brochure for Customers
Word Version** or PDF Version*
Spanish Payday Loan Brochure for Customers
Word Version** or PDF Version*
- Check Cashers and Sellers Interpretive Letters
Complying With The Red Flags Rule
A "How to Guide for Business" on the rules from the FTC.
Payday Lending Reports
- 2013 Payday Lending Report (PDF)*
- 2012 Payday Lending Report (PDF)*
- 2011 Payday Lending Report (PDF)*
- 2010 Payday Lending Report (PDF)*
- 2009 Payday Lending Report (PDF)*
- 2008 Payday Lending Report (PDF)*
- 2007 Payday Lending Report (PDF)*
- 2006 Payday Lending Report (PDF)*
- 2005 Payday Lending Report (PDF)*
- 2004 Payday Lending Report (PDF)*
- 2003 Payday Lending Report (PDF)*
If you have any questions about Check Cashers and Sellers, feel free to contact us by phone at 360-902-8703 or toll free at 1-877 RING DFI (746-4334). You may also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* This document is a PDF file, and you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view it. If you don't already have Acrobat Reader installed on your computer, you may download it for free from Adobe.
** This document is a Microsoft Word file, and you will need Microsoft Word to view it.