For the Media
Help us spread the message of building wealth. Below you will find ideas and public service announcements for the media.
- In Washington, 17% of individuals reported that over the past year, their household spent more than their income (not including the purchase of a new home, car, or other big investment) - FINRA 2012 Financial Capability Study
- In Washington, only 41% of individuals have set up a rainy day fund to cover
emergency expenses - FINRA 2012 Financial Capability
- 30% of Americans say they have less than $1,000 in savings - EBRI 2012 Retirement Confidence Survey
- Parents believe there are several areas of personal finance where their kids need to improve. The top three mentioned were how to stick to a budget and live within their means (48%), how to save money
(42%) and how to invest money wisely (33%) - Charles Schwab 2010 Families & Money Survey
How Can The Media Get Involved?
Run Savings PSAs
Donate some air time to the America Saves Week PSAs. For more information, contact Lyn Peters at (360) 902-8731 or Lyn.Peters@dfi.wa.gov.
Run a Savings Tip of the Day
Run a savings tip of the day or savings tips article in your
newspaper or blog.
Run a Local Story
Run a story about how your local asset building coalition is helping members of your local community build wealth.
- Post a Blog Entry about Washington Saves Week
Post a blog entry about Washington Saves Week and then link to the Washington Saves Web site
- Encourage Readers to Submit Their Savings Tips
Allow visitors to your blog to submit their savings strategies and cost cutting tips.
Lyn Peters, Director of Communications, DFI
(360) 902-8731 or Lyn.Peters@dfi.wa.gov