For the Media
Help us spread the message of building wealth. Below you will find ideas and public service announcements for the media.
See: 2013 Press Release Announcing Washington Saves Week
- In Washington, 17% of individuals reported that over the past year, their household spent more than their income (not including the purchase of a new home, car, or other big investment) - FINRA 2010 Financial Capability Study
- In Washington, 53% of individuals lack a rainy day fund to cover
expenses for three months, in case of emergencies such as sickness,
job loss or economic downturn - FINRA 2010 Financial Capability
- 30% of Americans say they have less than $1,000 in savings - EBRI 2012 Retirement Confidence Survey
- Parents believe there are several areas of personal finance where their kids need to improve. The top three mentioned were how to stick to a budget and live within their means (48%), how to save money
(42%) and how to invest money wisely (33%) - Charles Schwab 2010 Families & Money Survey
How Can The Media Get Involved?
Run Savings PSAs
Donate some air time to the America Saves Week PSAs. For more information, contact Lyn Peters at (360) 902-8731 or Lyn.Peters@dfi.wa.gov.
Run a Savings Tip of the Day
Run a savings tip of the day or savings tips article in your
newspaper or blog.
Run a Local Story
Run a story about how your local asset building coalition is helping members of your local community build wealth.
- Post a Blog Entry about Washington Saves Week
Post a blog entry about Washington Saves Week and then link to the Washington Saves Web site
- Encourage Readers to Submit Their Savings Tips
Allow visitors to your blog to submit their savings strategies and cost cutting tips.
Public Service Announcements
We are asking the media to donate some air time to the America Saves Week PSAs.
If you would like to request a hard copy of a PSA, contact Lyn Peters at (360) 902-8731 or Lyn.Peters@dfi.wa.gov.
Lyn Peters, Director of Communications, DFI
(360) 902-8731 or Lyn.Peters@dfi.wa.gov